Views on current issues
This is the official website of Dr. Halim Rane, PhD.
Dr. Rane has the following qualifications:
BHSc (Sociology & Islamic Studies)
MA (Media Studies)
PhD (International Relations)
He is a well-known personality and is an active member in his local community in Brisbane, where he lives with his family.
He is very passionate about his work and has been recognised for his achievements, as can be noted by his many Awards.
If you would like get in touch with Dr. Rane, you may find his contact details on the Contact page.
- NEW: "Towards understanding what Australia's Muslims really think" - Published in Journal of Sociology (PDF file)
- NEW BOOK:
Dr. Rane has released a 3rd book entitled Islam and Contemporary Civilisation. Evolving Ideas,Transforming Relations. The book is available at Melbourne University Publishing: http://catalogue.mup.com.au/978-0-522-85728-3.html. Read more about Dr. Rane's newest book on the Publications page. Click to read the back cover. (opens an image)
- Dr. Rane's 2nd Book:
Dr Rane's new book, Islam and the Australian News Media has just been released. Co-edited with Dr Jacqui Ewart and Assoc. Prof. Mohamad Abdalla and published by Melbourne University Press, this book brings together the work of academics, media researchers, journalists and editors to provide comprehensive insights into the how and why of covering Islam, media content, and its impact on social relations.
- CONFERENCES & PRESENTATIONS:
Dr Rane will be presenting on his book Reconstructing Jihad amid Competing International Norms at the Al-Waleed Centre for Muslim-Christian Understanding at Georgetown University, USA, on 26 April 2010.
Dr Rane will be presenting papers at the following conferences this year:
- 11th annual Centre for the Study of Islam and Democracy conference, Washington D.C., USA, 28 April.
- 2010 World Congress for Middle Eastern Studies conference, Barcelona, Spain, 19-24 July.
- 44th annual Middle East Studies Association conference, San Diego, USA, 18-21 November.
- Dr Rane's book Reconstructing Jihad amid Competing International Norms was launched at the Australian Political Science Conference at Macquarie University on Monday 28 September by Professor Michael Wesley, Director of the Lowy Institute for International Policy. You can read more about the book in the Publications section.
» BUY the book from Amazon.com
- Halim Rane's highly praised book Reconstructing Jihad amid Competing International Norms is available for purchase from the Co-op Bookshop at Griffith University (Nathan campus) for the discounted price of $95.00. Phone (07) 3735 2677 / 5378 or email firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com . Order now and receive free postage within Australia!
“Rane writes with a knowledge and confidence of one who has thoroughly researched his study, engaging in a critical and persuasive analysis of sensitive and complex issues from the history of apartheid in South Africa, Palestinian-Israeli politics, and issues of violence and terrorism. The author's command of Islamic materials is remarkable...Few topics are as important and contested as that of violence and non-violence in Islam and especially that of jihad, its meaning and usages. Despite the importance of this topic in Islam and in Muslim politics today, very few scholars bring the nuances in their analysis and critique that are evident in this study. Rane's analysis of jihad in Islamic religious thought and history is especially impressive, providing a masterful presentation of the history and usage of the term jihad. I can think of few (actually no) presentation that offers so comprehensive an analysis both of the development of the concept of jihad and the major scholarship on jihad”-- John Esposito, Professor of International Affairs and Islamic Studies, Georgetown University .
Read what other reviewers have said about Reconstructing Jihad: http://www.amazon.com/ Reconstructing-Jihad- Competing-International-Norms/ product-reviews/0230614833/ ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie= UTF8&showViewpoints=1
- Dr. Mohammad Hashim Kamali launched Dr Halim Rane's book, Reconstructing Jihad on 13 July 2009 at Griffith University. Click to view picture.